Friday, May 13, 2011

Front-load Chronicle

I did have a list of gadgetry in mind before I left. Machinery that would substitute the hired help of Pakistani culture with the mechanical self help-ness of the developed world. But theory is never quite the same as practice as one would say.

And as I, after washing my first ever lot of coloured clothes, under the 'whites' simply because i took arqam's word for granted and did not read the correct order of instructions; would learn by experience.

or not. because i would follow suit by yet again, taking arqam's advise too literally and turning off the heat setting in the dryer, and thus returning still with damp laundry having spent all my ten quarters.

so this time around today, i was so sure i had become quite the pro as i lugged my bag of soiled clothes. There was no stopping me except... that my quarter kept popping back out. It was after all 8 in the evening. and i kept dropping it back in vain, wondering if there was an after hours after which the machine didnt work.

Or maybe the machine was faulty?

Ofcourse it was, so i changed the machine, dumping my load into the one on the far right, since the far left one, which i had tried before was already occupied. which was a good thing, coz it made me read the instructions i hadn't last time, and brush out a bit of excess detergent i had dropped into the clothing. Scooping it up and pushing some into the slot that it was actually supposed to go in and not amidst the clothes as i was enlightened, i kept praying that there was no movie scene re enactment of fuzzy surf exploding all the over the room syndrome.

And then, there it was, the clink clink clink clink of the quarters as they fell in perfect chime into the machine. All except the last; which i finally realized was being rejected because it was a 'dirham' and not a quarter.

Stupid isnt it.

and that changed, we were good to go!

And while i am waiting on the dryer, i figured i'd just relate how i'm sittin and wondering if theres anywhere more the no-brainer could actually stump me.

hopefully not!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I can't find an email address for you and couldn't reply to your comment on my blog about the Silhouette SD. I have really loved using the Silhouette the last year. It will work with thick cardstock, but not something as thick as foam. They offer a different mat for thicker material. It works like a dream! I'm still using my original blade and am on my 2nd mat.

    ReplyDelete